Tuesday, February 19, 2013

EduBlogger: The Innovative Educator

When initially looking at this tech task, I was a little stumped; I didn't even know of any other than the ones discussed in class and listed on Moodle. So I will be honest... as with many things, I googled it! Is that embarrassing? I believe I googled something like "edubloggers to follow" or something along those lines. Somehow I ended up on a SlideShare that gave me 25 or so inspirational (in their words) educational blogs to follow. From this, I chose about 10 and added them to my RSS feed. From time to time I would look on these blogs and see which blogs I enjoyed the most.

This is how I came across the blog of Lisa Nielson, who has a blog entitled The Innovative Educator. Who is she?
"Ms. Nielsen is a seasoned public school educator who has worked for more than a decade in various capacities including full-time as a permanently certified teacher and educational administrator who supports learning in real and innovative ways that prepare students for success." This description is one that I found on her "About Me" page. Se has also recently written a book.
Her blog focuses on sharing ideas and thoughts about the future of education, as well as resources. Lisa is an advocate for the use of all kinds of technology in the classroom; being an innovative educator. She discusses topics such as Professional Learning Networks, Facebook, Twitter, SmartBoards, social media, cellular phones in education, and much much more! Her blog is very organized, which is appealing to me. In the right hand side she lists the categories that she speaks about, so if you want to read about a certain topic you can just click on the category.

The best thing about this blog I have found so far is that many of her posts are accompanied with an audio option; a podcast. Instead of reading the article, you can listen to it! There have been times that I have listened to something on her blog while doing other homework; how convenient!

One thing I didn't consider until recently was following her on Twitter. It didn't occur to me until I took another look at the tech task description. Goes to show how much of a Twitter newbie I am! I started following her now, and from what I can see she often tweets the same ideas and resources that she puts on her blog. Just another way she is sharing with the world!

Lisa and her commitment to this blog is something to admire. I definitely recommend to everyone to check out her blog. Turn it on while you are doing the dishes! ;) Here is her blog:

http://theinnovativeeducator.blogspot.ca/

1 comment:

  1. This teacher sounds interesting! I also put some edu-bloggers into my read, and find the ones I follow on Twitter are the ones I end up checking out... I guess the interesting tag line hooks me!

    ReplyDelete