Sunday, February 24, 2013

Donald Girouard and Sophia Palahicky: WebBased Courses

Recently we had 2 consultants from Manitoba Education come in to speak to our class about web-based courses. They discussed the advantages of web-based courses, for both the students and the teachers. They also explained the 4 ways to use WBC's: as a teacher resource, with a face-to-face class, with distance Learners, and as part of a mixed learning environment. Sophia and Donald also described the tool Manitoba Blackboard, and give us a tour. While writing this blog I took a few minutes to explore the site as well. I previewed as a guest, so I assume I saw the site from a students point of view. From what I saw it seems very student friendly; very organized and clear. I can definitely see the benefit of using Blackboard, even in the regular classroom as part of a mixed environment. This would allow students to have access to what is going on in class, if they ended to be away.

I have never taken a web-based course. I am not even sure if I had that option when I was in high school. I did consider taking distance courses during the summer months of university, but never did. I doubted myself, thinking that if I were able to go at my own pace to get the assignments done, I would not be successful. Simply because I am a procrastinator. I also thought that I wouldn't get as much out of the course taking it by distance education then I would in a face to face course. But after hearing Sophia and Donald speak about web-based courses and their lets, they sound much better than how I pictured them years ago!

On the topic of web-based courses: While I was browsing around and looking at infographics for my previous blog, I happened to stumble upon one about online education. It compares online teaching and regular classroom teaching, with a definite favouritism for online education. Have a look at it:

http://infographicsmania.com/online-vs-classroom-education/

Thanks to Sophia and Donald for coming in to talk about the aspects and advantages of web-based courses. This is definitely an area of education I'd like to learn more about!

1 comment:

  1. I am in the same position as you Adrienne, I have never taken a web-based course. I am currently taking a distance "paper" course through Athabasca and have to admit that it is sometimes hard to get motivated to do my readings and assignments when there are no specific deadlines. I can only imagine that procrastination would be much worse for most highschool students. I did appreciate when Donald & Sophia mentioned that communication and keeping students on track is a really important aspect of web based courses with Mantioba Education.

    ReplyDelete