Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Class last week: Diigo vs. Pearltrees

Last week was a mix up of different topics in our Internet for Educators class. On Tuesday we discussed social bookmarking tools (such as Diigo and Pearltrees)and watched some videos I had never seen (loved the bad lip reading one). Thursday we were alotted a period to with with our groups for our presentations.

 The main question I have in this post is, what bookmarking tool should I use? Diigo or Pearltrees? I know, I am a little behind on this tech task... But I couldn't make up my mind! I downloaded both apps on my iPad, and I have signed up for both. I am trying both out trying to get a handle on how to set them up. This is probably the silly way of doing it.. I really should just pick one and go with it. As you can see I am a fairly indecisive person. I'm leaning more towards Diigo, just because it seems easier due to the option of having the "Diigolet" in my toolbar. Maybe Pearltrees has that option as well and I just don't know it? It seems that as it stands right now I am leaning more towards Diigo. Good luck to me! If you have a moment let me know what you prefer for a bookmarking tool - I could use the input!

My group and I are doing our presentation on Cyberbullying. We went down a rather creative path for this project... and I do like our final product! We decided to try and lighten up the mood a little bit on this one, but do note the WARNING, and that we do not think lightly of this issue. I'm sure you are confused by that statement right now, but you will understand later! Anyway, that is all I will say for now; wouldn't want to spoil it!

Now to comment a little on my time so far in this class. The blogging has been surprisingly enjoyable! I do enjoy writing them, even though I am often slightly behind in doing so. I feel good about getting my thoughts out there, and becoming a little more public. However I am beginning to feel slightly overwhelmed with the tech tasks that I still need to do! The ones I left are sort of unfamiliar territory for me, and I am talking about the Video, the Podcast, the Infographics, and web-based Apps. By that I just mean I have not explored these different things very much. So I will need to do some exploring before I can complete the tasks. I better get going... I can't believe how fast this term has flown by!

3 comments:

  1. You've got me intrigued for your project. Looking forward to it.
    I use diigo for it's simplicity. You can bookmark directly from your browser and they are stored in a list on your diigo page. I can also highlight portions of the page, but I haven't explored that very much yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use diigo extensively as well, especially its screen capture option which you can save independently or attach it to the specific webpage. The highlight option is great for referencing specific portions of lengthy or text-heavy documents (wink wink wikipedia page).

      Delete
  2. You can have Pearltrees in your toolbar as well. I have both, but have used Diigo very rarely. I think you should do what works best for you. I like Pearltrees, but maybe that's because I haven't explored Diigo enough.
    I'm very intrigued about your project as well. I look forward to your group's presentation!

    ReplyDelete