Saturday, January 26, 2013

Twitter - Yay or Nay?







People everywhere now know the symbol of the social media tool known as Twitter. Similar to Facebook this icon is now seen on
personal websites, online newspaper sites, university
websites, you name it.





 Until recently I have avoided this new fad like the plague. Why?
Honestly... I didn't really have a good reason! I guess I just didn't really
see the benefit of it; just another place to share funny stories or quotes (or "tweets"). Needless to say I was definitely a Nay as opposed to a Yay as far as joining the Twitter bandwagon goes.

Due to my enrollment in the Internet for Educators course, I have now joined Twitter. Surprisingly enough... I am thankful for this! I knew I should join, keep up with the times and what not. But if you've read my previous blogs you know that technology and I are not often close friends! This is yet another piece of the world of technology I shied away from. Now that I am on Twitter, I am trying to learn the ropes. I have not yet "tweeted"... that will be a big step. I am to my surprise starting to see the benefits; mainly the idea of finding all kinds of useful information and resources, as well as sharing my own with others. Another thing I think I will enjoy once I get used to it is all of the humour that exists on it. A little something else to brighten my day!

All that being said, I can't say I am fully a Yay for twitter just yet (I can hear everyone saying boooooo.. but hold on!). I feel as though it is probably just because I am not used to it yet.. not totally confident on how to navigate through it, share, find, etc. But I feel confident that I will turn into a yay soon! After all, there must be a good reason why everyone out there is addicted!
 ...
Updates on that to come! 




2 comments:

  1. It takes a while to get used to it. I started twitter last year for ICT class and have only felt like I'm in the grove in the last few months.
    It's great for finding resources, but becomes addicting when you start making connections and building relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes some getting used to. When I started Twitter last year I didn't tell anyone for over a week because I was too embarrassed that I had no idea how to even use it yet!
    I can know officially say that I am addicted and it is my go-to PLN tool that I use multiple times a day. It has been so helpful in my development as an educator. I hope you find the same too!

    Miss L
    Miss L’s Whole Brain Teaching

    ReplyDelete