Monday, March 4, 2013

Video in the classroom

Using video in the classroom - love the idea. Video's are a great way to enhance the lesson you are teaching. It can act as a fun activating activity, an enhancing acquiring activity, etc. Whether it's showing the students a video or having the students create one, the learning opportunities are always there.

After reading Kirsten's blog I started thinking about how video was used back when I was in school. To go back in time to my elementary years, I don't remember being exposed to much video in the classroom. I remember using the TV to watch movies on fun days... but that's about all. Of course this could be because the school did not have all the technology that schools have now. When I got to high school this changed a little bit. Some teachers would bring in videos about certain topics covered in class, such as mitosis in Biology. However these were not what I would consider good videos by any means. They were very boring, not engaging at all. And still, is this because technology was not as readily available back then as it is now? Perhaps the use of devices and the internet (videos included) in the classroom just weren't seen as useful.

Whatever the case, I think it is great that things have changed. In education technology is being used a lot more, and this includes online video. That being said , do I know a ton of good video sites seeing as I am completely on board for this? Sadly no, I do not! I wish I did. Thanks to all of my classmates' blogs I certainly know more now than I did though!

BrainPOPJr. : This is a website that I have already mentioned in my show and tell, but again I used it all the time. I found a ton of great videos that I used in the classroom on there. I definitely recommend it; a ton of engaging videos for the early years classroom on a large variety of topics.

Below is a video showing a very innovative classroom, taken from edutopia.org. This teacher uses technology to differentiate his instruction. He uses a lot of interactive games in math, particularly the programs Planet Turtle and Dreambox. He has the students go on these sites to practice their math skills. He encourages not only the use of the computers, but also the use of different strategies that are best for the students. He has tons of devices in his classroom including lap tops, iPod touches, and iPads. Technologically inspiring!

Differentiating Instruction Through Interactive Games (Tech2Learn Series) | Edutopia

This next video is purely for your enjoyment. Might just be my favourite video right now.


Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment